Orientation Recap

Adult Learner and Student Veteran Orientation Track

Not sure if you are an adult learner? Let us help! Adult learner, nontraditional student, adult student, and student over traditional age are terms used interchangeably in reference to students who have one or more of the following characteristics:

  • One or more children or other dependents
  • Working part-time or full-time to pay for college tuition and related expenses
  • Stopped out of school for an extended period of time
  • Married, partnered, single, divorced or widowed
  • Military background – veteran, reservist, active duty, national guard
  • Caring for an elderly parent or relative
  • Transferred from a two-year or four-year institution
  • Someone who is 23 years of age or older

During orientation, we will present vital information about what it means to be an adult learner and/or a veteran student starting at CSU and introduce you to the resources we have on campus to support your educational endeavors.

Transfer, Adult Learner, and Student Veteran RamWelcome

We look forward to welcoming you to CSU! All incoming students are expected to participate in Ram Welcome!

Check out the Adult Learner & Veteran Services Ram Welcome track here: Fall Ram Welcome OR Spring Ram Welcome

For more information, contact Orientation and Transition Programs at orientation@colostate.edu, (970) 491-6011, or use the live chat function on their website.

ALVS Services


Request a free ALVS tutor! Tutors are available for most lower division science and math classes. However, if we don’t currently have a tutor for your particular class, we will work on finding one for you.


Connect with an ALVS Peer Advisor! Peer Advisors are here to help answer questions, direct students to resources, and build a strong community amongst our students.


The ALVS offered $1.4 million in scholarships to students for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Check out this page and be sure to apply for the scholarships you are eligible for! Scholarship applications open October 1st and close March 1st for the 2023-2024 academic year via your RamWeb. Learn more about the CSU Scholarship Application here.

Ram Kidz Village

Ram Kidz Village (RKV) is a FREE drop-in, educational program operated by the ALVS available to all currently enrolled student parents. Services are provided for children ages 12 months – 11 years old. We also provide take-home activity kits to families!


Colorado State University’s Adult Learner & Veteran Services (ALVS) recognizes the hard work that student parents put into balancing family life, parenthood, and college coursework. While finding that balance is not always the easiest of tasks, the ALVS is a safe space for student parents to access resources and support as they balance parenting while pursuing their degree. These resources are open to students of all ages and backgrounds. This form will help ensure that the ALVS and Ram Kidz Village (RKV) are providing supportive resources for you for this upcoming academic year.

Questions on additional ways you can receive support as a student parent on campus? Contact us on our Live Chat or call us at (970) 491-3977.

New Student Opportunities


This free, 4-week academic and social bridge program is designed to help students transition into Colorado State University by providing Math and English Composition instruction free of the pressure of earning a grade while also connecting you to fellow students within the ALVS community. As a participant, you will attend classes four days a week, and engage in social activities that will promote your understanding of CSU and the surrounding community on the fifth day. You will engage with faculty members, ALVS staff, campus partners, and other adult learners in the ELEVATE program. This is a non-credit earning program, however; students who successfully complete the program will receive a $1,500 scholarship.

This program is offered in the summer for new students.

Questions? Reach out to Brianna Ridenour at brianna.ridenour@colostate.edu

IU 172: ALVS New Student Seminar

In this 1-credit course, learn about creating a successful transition to CSU. Through self-awareness, reflection, and planning, students will explore different aspects of the transition to a new institution including academic success as well as personal and professional goal-setting. Through these opportunities, students will be exposed to planning for their success at CSU and beyond. This course will provide a support network for new students to aid in building their community to enrich the first-semester transition. Class sections will meet twice a week for the first eight weeks of the fall semester for 50 minutes each class period.

This is an 8 week class beginning the second week of the semester.

Monday-Wednesday 12:00-12:50 PM.

Register for the class by putting CRN (75187) into your enrollment portal on RamWeb! You won’t be able to see this course in the class scheduler since it is specific for ALVS and transfer students.

Contact brianna.ridenour@colostate.edu with any questions!

Office of Financial Aid (Website)


If you are an out-of-state student paying out-of-state tuition, begin this process to receive in-state tuition rates after your first year.

Unique Circumstances

Professional Judgment Appeals & Budget Appeals

The Office of Financial Aid is dedicated to ensuring that students can access the fullest extent of aid available to them. The Office of Financial Aid can review unique circumstances to determine if you are eligible for additional federal, state, or institutional aid. The appeal process may look different depending on your individual situation. Below you will find more information about the Professional Judgment Appeal, Budget Appeal, and Independent Appeal processes.

Professional Judgment Appeal: If you had a substantial change in income when returning to school and your FAFSA is not reflective of your current situation, talk to OFA about a professional judgment appeal. Can also apply if you had a change in marital status or a one time income.

Circumstances typically considered for a Professional Judgment Appeal:

  • Loss of employment
  • Significant change to income
  • Large medical expenses not covered by insurance
  • Separation or divorce
  • Death of parent or spouse
  • Loss of child support or alimony
  • Natural disaster affecting the home you live in

Budget Appeal: If you need more money for living expenses, childcare, or a computer, talk to OFA about a budget appeal. The annual cost of attendance is based on averages for students. There are situations in which students benefit from having their cost of attendance reflect their actual expenses as opposed to an estimated amount. These costs could be costs directly billed to the student from CSU, or the costs could be related to other indirect expenses such as rent, dependent care, health insurance, etc.

Veterans Education Benefits Office (VEBO)

Questions about your benefits? Contact VEBO

Step One: Apply for admission to Colorado State University.

Step Two: Get started using your VA benefits. New students are those who have not used VA benefits before at any institution of higher education. To apply for benefits, you will need to complete the appropriate VA application through the VA.gov website. Understand the Standards of Satisfactory Progress.

Step Three: Apply for Financial Aid. You may be eligible for other types of financial aid while receiving your Veterans Educational Benefits. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). CSU’s school code is 001350. For other financial aid questions please visit the Office of Financial Aid.

Step Four: Meet with a CSU Academic Advisor within your major. Review your degree plan to ensure your course selection is in alignment with your program of study. If you are bringing credits from another source, a Prior Credit Memorandum must be completed; if you are an Undergraduate, your advisor must sign to verify the credits.

Undergraduate Students should review their Degree Progress Audit via RAMweb.
Graduate Students should work with their Faculty Advisor as well as follow the processes for filing a GS-6 (See Step 3: Program of Study).

Step Five: Complete your paperwork. Complete the Enrollment Certification Request Form (all users) and the Chapter 33 Acknowledgement Form (if applicable). Turn in your completed paperwork to the Veterans Education Benefits Office by email, fax, or in person after you register for classes. You will be advised if there are any additional requirements once your documents have been reviewed. ​If you are using Post 9/11 – Chapter 33 benefits, the Veterans Education Benefits office will also require a copy of an updated Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA to verify your benefits prior to updating your student account.

Step Six: Last, but not least – enjoy utilizing your VA Education Benefits, and remember to fill out a worksheet EVERY semester.

Check out our Continuing Benefits Students page for additional information.

All questions regarding your GI Bill benefits can be directed to VEBO.

Email: gi_bill@colostate.edu

Military & Veterans - Office of the Registrar Information

Get involved!

Check out descriptions of the organization affiliated with the ALVS here.

  • Pinnacle Non-traditional Honor Society
  • SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society
  • Student Veterans Organization
  • Student Parents Organization
  • Associated Students of CSU
  • Research
  • Internships
  • More opportunities to get involved at RamLink

Other Resources

Get Your RamCard

One original, secure and verifiable photo identification document must be presented to obtain a RamCard. Examples of these include:

    • A passport from any country, or

One of the following U.S. government-issued documents:

    • State photo driver license or driver permit,
    • State-issued photo identification card,
    • Military ID,
    • Employment Authorization Card, or
    • Permanent Resident Card
The RamCard Office is located in Lory Student Center room 271, right across from the main level of the Bookstore.

Parking and Transportation Services

Parking at CSU is available for faculty, staff, students, and visitors and does require a parking permit. Parking and Transportation Services can assist with more information regarding purchasing an annual permit, information on visitor or short term permits, or pay by plate locations. In addition to commuting via automobile, many members of the campus community choose alternative transportation options. Visit the Parking and Transportation Services website for information on biking or walking to CSU, carpooling, and using the Transfort system. 

Alternative Transportation

Brought to campus by ASCSU, Parking and Transportation Services, and Transfort, leave cars at home and use MAX, other Transfort routes and Around the Horn to get around campus. Thirteen stops are serviced every 10 minutes Monday through Saturday. In addition to mass transit, CSU encourages alternative transportation (biking, walking, and carpooling).

Off-Campus Life

Off-Campus Life provides services and programs to meet the diverse needs of off-campus and commuter students and to assist students in successfully transitioning, integrating, and engaging in the local community.

Services include:

  • Information on housing options in the community, including online rental listing service
  • Help in finding roommates
  • Transportation information
  • Tenant rights and responsibilities, including ordinance information
  • Connection with community members through volunteer opportunities
  • Tools and resources for students to have a successful off-campus living experience.

Rams Against Hunger

Operating from The Office of Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement (SLiCE), Rams Against Hunger offers a menu of services that support students, faculty and staff experiencing food insecurity. Services include a food pantry, a meal-swipe program, pocket pantries, and in-person assistance with navigating federal aid eligibility. This multi-pronged approach acknowledges the broad scope of the issue and seeks to normalize this difficult conversation for the individuals affected, as well as for the institution as a whole. Our hope in providing these services is to ensure that basic needs need not be overlooked at the expense of a degree. By reducing the stigma around food insecurity and meeting student, staff and faculty needs in a way that affirms dignity, we hope to live out the creed that Rams really do take care of Rams.

NOTE: The RAH Pantry how has a permanent location! Come see us at 1251 Mason St and please see below for hours of operation.

Student Disability Center

Support & Accommodations

The Student Disability Center provides support for students with both permanent and temporary disabilities. This can encompass physical disabilities, chronic illness/health conditions, mental health conditions, learning disabilities, temporary disabilities.
Support services fall into three categories: accommodations, awareness, and advocacy. These three services areas relate to and complement one another to help lessen the negative effects that limitations or disabilities may have on students in an academic environment.
Accommodations are designed to give students access to the programs offered by Colorado State University. Awareness activities are related to improving the climate on campus for students with disabilities. Advocacy efforts are to ensure the needs of students with disabilities or chronic health conditions are addressed both in individual situations as well as in policies and procedures of the university.
  • Alternative Testing Accommodations
  • Accessible Text Accommodation
  • Deaf & Hard of Hearing Accommodations
    • Sign Language Interpreters
    • Captions & Audio Descriptions
  • Attendance Flexibility
  • Deadline Flexibility
  • Assistance Animals
  • Mobility
  • Note Taking Accommodations
  • Housing & Dining Accommodations

Career Center

Looking for a quick review of your resume? Wondering where to find on-campus employment, or how to translate previous military experience? Curious about how to explain your gap on your resume from your time being a stay-at-home parent? Trying to figure out how your previous work experience translates to future jobs? Connect with the Career Center!

ALVS continues to be supported by our Career Center Liaisons, Alexis Gomez and Lisa Lelm, who serves as a CSU Career Education Coordinator. Come visit her in our office during their ALVS Office Hours!

Assistive Technology Resource Center (ATRC)

The ATRC provides assistive technology supports and services to Colorado State University students who have a disability. Services include assessments, accommodations, training, equipment loans, and resources.

Early Childhood Council of Larimer County (ECCLC)

Childcare Resource

ECCLC maintains a local child care referral website, called Larimer Child Care Connect, to help you find the care you need. With just a few clicks you can receive personalized search results of child care and preschool programs near you! You can find the program best fitted for you and your family and can filter results by financial aid options, quality ratings, and available spots. Referrals are not recommendations. It is your responsibility to screen child care providers and decide who will best meet your family’s needs.

When you visit Larimer Child Care Connect, you will:
– Enter your name and email address
– Receive an email with a personalized login link
– Enter information about your child(ren) in need of care and your desired location
– Get your personalized search results tailored to your needs

When you find a program that meets your needs, click on a program’s customized profile to show you available spots, hours of operation, program highlights, financial aid options, special COVID-19 precautions, and more! With hundreds of vacant child care spots updated weekly, you can search for programs close to home, school, work, or anywhere in between.

Website: https://ecclc.org/parents-and-families/finding-child-care-and-preschool/